Exhibit: The 250th Anniversary of Union Lodge #5 Charter, 1765-2015
Celebrate the 250th Anniversary of the Union Lodge #5’s Charter by visiting the Historic Odessa Foundation’s Masonic exhibit at the National Historic Register Wilson Warner House. On public display for the first time is a distinctive selection of artifacts and documents from the Middletown Lodge’s collection, including two rare Jewels attributed to Duncan Beard, the famous clockmaker and Master Mason of Cantwell’s Bridge (Odessa), Delaware. Also on view are some of the ceremonial accoutrements of a Past Master, including a jewel, apron, top hat, and white gloves.
The First Masonic Lodge in Delaware
This exhibit seeks to commemorate the recently unveiled state historic marker in Middletown, Delaware which reads: Chartered on June 24, 1765 by the Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania A.Y.M., Lodge No. 5 at Cantwell’s Bridge (later known as Odessa) became the first Masonic Lodge established in Delaware. The Lodge was admitted to membership under the Grand Lodge of Delaware in January 1816. Lodge No. 5 moved to Middletown in 1822 and adopted the name Union in 1851. With uninterrupted service to the community, Union Lodge No. 5, Ancient and Free Accepted Masons, is distinguished as one of the oldest continuous organizations in the state of Delaware.
Photo Credit: Washington as a Freemason, 1865, Strobridge & Gerlach, lithographers. Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division, Washington D.C.